Monday, September 22, 2008

Shock politics

When I read the headline today that Bush is putting heavy pressure on Congress to accept the bailout plan, where we throw at a minimum 700 billion dollars (or more) at Wall Street with no strings attached, saying it's a crisis and we must act quickly, and when there are serious concerns with it, I smelled hidden agenda.  You can just feel it in your bones.

Last week my wife told me that she had read an article where it explained that a big agenda of the current administration before it leaves is to empty out the government coffers as much as possible.  I walked away scratched my head wondering why on earth anyone would want to do that.

Then today I read this article by Naomi Klein and a light went on in my head.  If we're drained of cash, then it becomes much easier to push through "cash-saving" agendas such as privatizing social security, lower corporate taxes and cut spending on the poor.  It severely hobbles any new administration to do anything progressive.

Eight years ago I would never have believed such a cockamamy "conspiracy theory."  But these days, after watching what has happened with the Iraq war, with the EPA, and with the politicization of the Justice Department, well, I'm not so sure.  I have the ugly feeling this may actually be a strategy.

If it's true, and they succeed, heaven help us.  If such backroom strategists are really thinking this way, I don't think they really have any idea what the true consequences of such a strategy might be.  Talk about short-sighted loot-and-burn out-and-out greed.  It makes one shudder.

No comments: