Monday, January 14, 2008

You just don't get it

There are times when you realize other people just don't see things the way you do. They just don't get it. For example...

Geek Jokes


After I showed it to her online, with a big smile on my face, my wife bought me a T-shirt for Christmas that says
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
I love this T-shirt. Either you get it, or you don't. In particular, you probably don't get why anyone would think it was funny.

Another favorite of mine is the T-Shirt that says <BODY> on the front and </BODY> on the back. Priceless. Snork snork.

Fixing My Own Computer


I recently bought a newer (larger, faster) hard drive for my MacBook Pro. iFixIt has very nice instructions on how to upgrade your hard drive here. Note all the tiny little screws. I was surprised by how many tiny little screws there were. I also had to go to Radio Shack to get a T6 Torx screwdriver. I actually got a cool little box with a screwdriver and exchangable tiny bits for electronic repair.

At dinner (my laptop in pieces, not done yet) I mentioned to my wife how surprised I was at all the little screws, how Apple had made it so complicated compared to other laptops I had worked with, and how it was taking me longer than I thought. She said "why didn't you just take it to a repair person?" I looked at her, stunned. I was hurt. How could she say such a thing? She just didn't get it.

It was as if she was struggling late at night over a pie for a pot-luck the next day, and I were to say "honey, why don't you save yourself some time and just buy a pie from the local bakery?" Sheesh...

Smacking My Son


Recently I was hanging outside our house with my 2-year-old son and our neighbors, a Mom and her daughter. At some point my son ran SLAM straight into me and we both laughed. The Mom and daughter both sucked in their breath.

I said, "you know, I don't think this is something women usually get. Boys love this sort of thing." Then I gave him a good smack on his forehead with my palm, kind of like Homer doing 'doh!' or the V-8 commercial. They both exclaimed in alarm. He roared with laughter. After some time the Mom said "no, we don't get it" and shook her head.

Ah, well...

1 comment:

Alicia Van Couvering said...

Triple snork, bro!