Monday, October 29, 2007

No Java 6 on Mac Leopard - time to plan a move

I had been waiting patiently for the new version of OS X, code-named Leopard, since early this year. Why? Because I need Java 6. Now I find out that it's not there, and no work from Apple when it will be there.

So, I sigh, and consider that Apple is abandoning the Java developer base, and I am seriously considering making a move. I think I'll start with putting Solaris Express Developer Edition under VMWare Fusion, which sounds like it's just getting better and better (you can get a pre-installed image here).

If that works well, I may set up Solaris under BootCamp and start using Solaris as my primary platform. Even if suspend still doesn't work. At least under VMWare if you suspend your Mac, you suspend Solaris too...

2 comments:

hohonuuli said...

Did you get Solaris to work under Fusion? I tried with Sn's prebuilt Virtual machine but it complains about running a 64bit OS in 32 bit mode. The solution to this presented in sun's VMWare FAQ doesn't work on Fusion. Anyway, if you got it to work would you post your fix?

Thanks

Unknown said...

I haven't had a chance to try yet, but a quick Google showed that a reconfiguration of VMWare (at the config file level) can get around this problem.

See this blog