Thursday, October 16, 2008

Turning my iPhone into an iDunnoWhat

Well, I'm always looking for ways to cut down on monthly expenses, I have enough of them already. And here is my cell phone bill, $60/month, ouch! I am using my cell phone as a phone much less than I expected -- once a day maybe. I just checked - last month I used 70 minutes.

I just got my wife a pay-as-you-go plan from T-Mobile. No contract, can use any unlocked phone, and it's .10c a minute if you get a $100 card.

So let's say I talk on my phone on average 70 minutes a month, that's $7.00 a month. Hm, that sounds pretty good.

The only problem - the cancellation fee of $150 unless I wait until Feb of 2010. And I'll need to buy an unlocked phone, but you can get a nice Motorola V195 from T-Mobile for $30. At a savings of more than $50/month, that extra $180 will pay for itself in less than four months. So it's worth it to switch now, even with a cancellation fee.

But wait, can you actually do that - cancel your AT&T service and still have a working iPhone with WiFi, browser, email, contacts, apps (even location-sensitive apps), and music? Survey says, yes!

No comments: