Saturday, March 03, 2012

My life as an artist



I was talking with a friend last night who is a wonderful artist.  As he shared what it meant to lead the life of an artist, I found myself filled with a bit of longing.  I have a somewhat romantic, artistic side to myself, but here I am as a career programmer.

Then I thought about it some more, and began sharing with him that actually, building software is a very creative act for me.  He asked in what way.   I said that I love that feeling of letting a design reveal itself to me.  I said that the use cases and tests that I put *around* a system are like the negative space that define the system.  As I add more test cases and refine the design, a form starts taking shape.  That experience of revelation, and of uncovering the elegance in the raw marble that is the initial design, is incredibly satisfying.

No comments: