Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So, what is it that you *do*, Dad?

SANY0008.JPG

I kept a promise yesterday by taking my eight-year old daughter into the office. I missed the official "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" but I really wanted to do this.

She was very excited and she told me she really loved my work and wanted to go again.

I found this mystifying, as this was our day:
  • Take BART from North Berkeley to Union City (45 minutes)
  • Take the Dumbarton Express bus over the Dumbarton Bridge to the Menlo Park campus
  • Get some breakfast
  • Meet with the *one* person in my team who (a) works in the Bay Area and (b) was in the office
  • Color and listen to stories on her MP3 player while I worked
  • Go to lunch
  • Color and listen to stories while I worked
  • Go to coffee
  • Color and listen to stories while I worked
  • Take the bus and BART back home
I tried to get her to tell me what it was she loved about going into the office, but she didn't come up with anything specific.

You know what I think. I think it's just great that she and I spent the day together. She knows it, I know it, and it had nothing to do with what we did. Just in itself, it was precious.

Something to seriously keep in mind.

No comments: