I had some nasty performance issues at first. I have a 5400RPM disk drive, and when I was running Solaris, I would experience regular "lock downs" where my computer became almost completely unresponsive while the disk chewed and chewed and chewed.
I finally moved my disk image to an external USB drive, and was much much happier.
Then earlier this week, I tried running my image on my main disk again, and it actually is working great, no issues at all.
I think the issue is that VMWare allocates disk space on demand. So when I was first getting going, installing lots of stuff, pulling down source trees and so on, VMWare kept asking the Mac for more disk space for its image.
But now the disk size has stabilized, and that's not happening any more.
If I were to do it again, I think I might do the following:
- Put the image on a separate disk initially
- Write a script to create a big file in my image filesystem, then delete it. This forces allocation of space
- Move the image back to my main disk.
I suspect if I had a 7200 RPM disk, this wouldn't be so much of an issue. I think I'll put that in as a budget request for next quarter :)