Thursday, October 11, 2007

A very personal view on the costs American health care

Photo of my Aunt

Recently my aunt passed away after a long bout with breast cancer, the youngest of six brothers and sisters in my Dad's family.

My cousin, my aunt's elder daughter, just sent this out to the family list. I think her message speaks for itself.

I want to say Thank You to all of you. You have been so supportive over the past 5 years and there are no words that can express those feelings that I have. This is truly a difficult time for me and my family.

My mother never had a mammogram until she was diagnosed. There were times, mostly, when she did not have medical insurance. She was afraid that if they ever found anything, she would not be able to get insurance and be treated properly. And if she had to be on county care, she wouldn't get good care.

Does this sound right to you? If you ever have an opportunity to make a difference in the policies that this country has, do it. That is the single most frustrating thing that I have dealt with through this ordeal. If she had had a mammogram at age 50, she would have caught this cancer early, and we would still have her around now. She had those tumors, TWO, for 10 years.


Thank you again for all of your kind words and support. They do not go unappreciated.

No comments: